Starting from 1886, the funicular in Lugano, which connects the railway station with the city center, has an important place in public transport. At that time, Abt was the first establishment on the inclusion of the environmental road. In the fall of 2016, Garaventa performed a complete overhaul of the installation and was responsible for the project, engineering, delivery and installation of all the electromechanical equipment as well as the cabin. Two funicular cabins bring 2,240 passengers to the city center from the recently renovated railway station. Along the historic road – including the tunnels, bridges and a cathedral – the limited space was a particular challenge for this urban project.